Friday 16 September 2011

More translation news from the Emerald Isle

The Irish translation of parts of the Roman Missal: 

faoi mo dhíon = under my roof
trí mo choir féin, trí mo choir féin, trí mo mhórchoir féin = through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault

Sound familiar?

See the article by Susan Gately on the Catholic Ireland website.

And see the whole Order of Mass in Irish Gaelic here.  My Gaelic isn't what it used to be (I now now eight words!) so the use of an electronic translator came in quite handy to test the veracity of the claims in the article.  Apparently, the Irish Gaelic was translated directly from the Latin.  It would be most illuminating to fiund out whether that occurred prior to or after 2001 (significance of that date is assumed knowledge).