Saturday 30 June 2012

Palestrina, Perosi and Plenty of Pallia at Papal Mass for Peter and Paul

Updated on 1 July 2012

Courtesy of Papal Music, here are videos of the pieces I refer to in my previous post, and a few more of interest.

Introit - very impressive, sung by a group of men from the Cappella Sistina


N
unc scio vere, quia misit Dóminus Angelum suum:
et erípuit me de manu Heródis,
et de omni exspectatióne plebis Iudæórum.
Ps. Dómine, probásti me, et cognovísti me:
tu cognovísti sessiónem meam, et resurrectiónem meam.

N
ow I know that the Lord really has sent his Angel,
and has delivered me out of the hands of Herod,
and from all that the Jewish people were expecting.
Ps. O Lord, you have searched me and known me;
you know when I sit down and when I rise up.

Gloria from Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli (directed by O'Donnell)


Credo from Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli (directed by Palombella) - refreshing to hear a polyphonic Credo every now and again


* Brisbanites may be interested to see their new Archbishop, Mark Coleridge, above at 2:00-2:10.

Offertory Motet - Byrd Hodie Simon Petrus (Abbey Choir alone)


Communion Motet - Byrd Ave Verum Corpus (Abbey Choir alone)



Prior to the Mass, during the imposition of the Pallia, the following music was sung:


Tallis Loquebantur variis linguis (Abbey Choir alone)


* Perthians may be interested to see their new Archbishop, Timothy Costelloe, having his Pallium imposed by the Holy Father, above at 0:23-0:55.